- No comments
Public Involved In Road Accidents Can Now Call 1-300-22-11-88 For Assistance On Claim Inquiries And Towing Of Their Accident Cars
Kuala Lumpur, 18 September 2013 – Persatuan Insurans Am Malaysia (PIAM) and the Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA) are pleased to announce the establishment of a nationwide call centre i.e. the Accident Assist Call Centre (Accident Assist) which is aimed at providing immediate assistance to the public involved in road accidents. The setting up of this call centre is a collective effort by the general insurance companies and takaful operators to serve the Malaysian public involved in road accidents more effectively. An easy-to-remember and cost efficient hotline number 1300-22-11-88 has been dedicated to receive calls from the public involved in road accidents and to answer general queries relating to motor insurance. The call centre is managed by Telekom Malaysia Bhd operating on a 24-hour basis. It will be manned by customer service officers trained in insurance claims to provide immediate assistance and respond to basic questions on motor insurance coverage and claims. ‘Accident Assist’ is currently being piloted in the Klang Valley and will be extended nationwide in the 4th quarter of 2013. Background In line with the Government’s effort to ease the burden of the Malaysian public and to enhance the efficiency in submission of motor accident claims, the insurance industry has taken the initiative to finance the establishment of this call centre. The insurance industry has received many complaints on the challenges faced by the public who are involved in road accidents. These challenges are further compounded by unscrupulous parties who take advantage of the situations. The call centre was established following consultation with a Joint Working Committee comprising of the Royal Malaysian Police (PDRM), Ministries of Health and Finance, the Attorney-General’s Chambers, the Judiciary, Consumer Associations, Bank Negara Malaysia, the Malaysian Bar Council and the transport operators associations.
Information on ‘Accident Assist’ As a start ‘Accident Assist’ offers two basic services to motorists which will include:
- Accident towing This service is provided for private passenger cars with Comprehensive, Third Party and Fire & Theft and Third Party insurance coverage. Comprehensive private passenger car policyholders who currently enjoy a free-of-charge roadside assistance service provided by their insurer/takaful operator will be automatically redirected to their insurer/takaful operator when they contact the ‘Accident Assist’ hotline. For Third Party, Fire & Theft and Third Party Private Car policyholders who do not have accident assistance from their insurers, they can call the ‘Accident Assist’ hotline and will be given access to the towing and repair services provided by the PIAM Approved Repairer Scheme (PARS) workshops. These workshops have been enlisted by PIAM to provide professional and efficient services at reasonable costs. For the pilot run period of the first three months, the territorial scope of towing service will be confined to the Federal Territory of Wilayah Persekutuan and Selangor State; thereafter this service will be extended nationwide, including Sabah and Sarawak.
- Claims Inquiries This service is available to provide basic answers to most frequent questions posed by motorist in the event of motor accidents, such as:
a) What to do in an accident?
b) How to make a claim?
c) Processes involved in making a claim
The general public, including all motor policyholders nationwide can access this service without any charges. Benefits The benefits offered by the ‘Accident Assist’ hotline available to the Malaysian public include:
- Access to motor claims inquiry service by the general public, including all motor policyholders.
- Access to accident towing and claims inquiry services for all Private Car Comprehensive, Third Party, Fire & Theft and Third Party policyholders;
- Minimise incidence of touting – ‘Accident Assist’ promotes towing services from PIAM approved repairers;
- Improved accessibility to information and empower the public to directly engage with industry;
- One single hotline number which can be easily remembered and accessed for motor claim services; and
- ‘Accident Assist’ will be able to redirect calls to 999 Emergency Response Centre in the event other emergency services such as the Police, Fire Brigade or ambulance are needed. The ‘Accident Assist’ will not only result in greater consumer empowerment in making insurance claims but potentially reduce reliance on intermediaries known to inflate claims.
For the insurance companies and takaful operators it offers a new level of service and experience in expanding its corporate social responsibility initiatives to policyholders and the general public.
About the General Insurance Association of Malaysia (PIAM)
PIAM is the national trade association of all licensed direct and reinsurance companies for general insurance in Malaysia. Currently, PIAM has 30 member companies. More information on PIAM can be obtained from its Web site: www.piam.org.my.
About the Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA)
Malaysian Takaful Association was established in December 2002 under the Malaysian Societies Act of 1966, the memberships comprises of all 15 licensed Takaful and Re-Takaful Operators in Malaysia . For more information, please visit www.malaysiantakaful.com.my. Issued by: General Insurance Association of Malaysia (PIAM) and Malaysian Takaful Association (MTA) Through: Kim Chew Communications Sdn Bhd Jacqueline Arnold / Jeannette D’Netto Tel: 03-7726 3430